Local address book requires at least 1 user
If you want to move contacts into your iOS device itself (in the Contacts app), then you must have at least 1 contact in there for Contact Mover to work. Basically, if the local Contacts app is empty, then there is no database, and only the Apple Contacts app can create one. Without that database, Contact Mover has nowhere to put your contacts.
This article explains how to add a fake contact in your Contacts app, which will build a database on your device, then our app can do its job.
1. Disable contact sync
iOS does not let you choose which account a new contact goes into while you’re adding that new contact. So, you must first unsync all external contacts with the device. This will remove those contacts from your device, but we will resync them after to get them back.
- Go to Settings
- Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Choose an account, and disable the Contacts sync. Choose Delete from my iPhone (we’ll sync these back in Step 3)
- Disable this for every account that is syncing contacts
2. Create fake contact
You can create a fake contact in the Contacts app, which will create an address book database on your phone.
- Open the Contacts app
- Add a new fake contact (this will get created within your destination address book, which will create the database we need to move over your contacts)
3. Enable contact sync
Now that your device has a local address book database, you can resync those contacts back.
- Go back to Settings
- Go back to Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Choose the accounts that you disabled contact syncing on, and enable it for them
Depending on the number of contacts, it may take your device a few minutes to sync them all back. Confirm all of your contacts are in the Contacts app, then launch the Contact Mover app again.
Still having trouble?
As IT professionals, we have done our best to test Contact Mover with various versions of iOS, Exchange servers, and account configurations. We want this app to be a foolproof solution for moving contacts, and we need your feedback if you found a way to break it.
Please email email@example.com if you have any issues.
↩ Back to guides
comments powered by Disqus